February 4, 2021Pete Buttigieg is the New Head of the US Department of Transport
The Senate confirmed Pete Buttigieg as the new head of the US Department of Transport, just a week after the body voted in favor of his nomination. Buttigieg, a presidential candidate in 2020, will take the place of Secretary Elaine Chao.
Some of the main concerns that Buttigieg will have to address are declining infrastructure, implementation of new technologies, and tackling challenges introduced by climate change and COVID-19 pandemics.
Who is Pete Buttigieg?
- 38 years old
- Born in South Bend, Ind.; lives in his hometown
- Former two-term mayor of South Bend; did not run for re-election in 2019 and left office on Jan. 1, 2020
- Former intelligence officer in the Navy Reserve; former consultant for McKinsey & Company; former Rhodes scholar
- The youngest candidate in the presidential field, he says he would be a bridge to a new era of American politics
- Mr. Buttigieg was the first candidate to push the idea of increasing the number of seats on the Supreme Court